Granstream
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regarding the Report System;

2 posters

Go down

Regarding the Report System; Empty Regarding the Report System;

Post  Zion Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 pm

I found these two messages, and am borrowing them, as they contain useful knowledge for future occurances for Granstream. These are quoted directly.

I believe it is time for a reminder of this rule regarding The Report System!

Lately it has started to become abused in the fact of many reports, for the less immediate or emergency type reports, are coming in daily.

While we understand that you are only trying to help, it isn't necessary to report things like double posting, one word spam, and colored text for example. While it is against the rules, it is not something that needs immediate attention.

Staff members are sent notification to our mails and alerted here as well. Some of us may be away in the middle of something important but come running in to see what is wrong, all to find that someone just double posted. And as I am sure you would understand, that can be frustrating and become very tiresome.

It's just like someone setting off the alarm, and the fire or police come, just to report someone pumping gas and talking on their cell phone, because you worry of an explosion. (btw MythBusters disproved that myth)

Please review the post made by Caihlem above. Here it is in quote form. Please pay special attention to those I put in bold!

Thanks!

Hello all,
Recent events have pushed me to post the following reminder about the Report System in use here.

First all, allow me to remind everyone what the Report System is meant to serve for:
It has been implanted in the lights that if the Staff misses something that needs immediate attention, then members who notice it can lend a hand and report it.

Now to business...
A few members, they should recognize themselves, have literally been attacking this system. We're currently receiving reports by the dozen ranging from something we've just taken care of to completely useless reports.
Also, the reports are not a means of moderating other members. By this I mean that it isn't in need of immediate attention if someone double posts. It's against the rules, but last we checked, the Staff was still competant enough to take care of these

We're therefore asking that you please use the Report System with care: Does it need to be done? Is it in need of immediate attention? I not, please refrain from sending in a report.

We've decided that as of now, abusive reports will lead to reminders at first, then warnings. Also, members who're warned about sending abusive reports will see themselves in the ineptitude of sending further reports.

I'd personally like to take this moment to thank those who use the Report System correctly. It helps us loads, especially when we're running low on times and tend to miss out some stuff.

Cordially,
the ForuMotion Staff

~Credit to ForuMotion Staff.
Zion
Zion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Regarding the Report System; Empty Re: Regarding the Report System;

Post  [ Skedaddles** ] Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:48 am

Hey Zion, I have a question about this reporting thing.
As you said - it's pretty useless to report double posting and one word spamming, and the likes but are we (as members) allowed to tell another member that they're breaking the rules and please refrain from double posting/spamming/etc?

I'm asking this because on Roli someone made a topic about how s/he hated it when members told her not to do something (against the rules) because they "weren't a moderator" and therefore it "wasn't their job/place" to be telling him/her what to do.

I also know on Roli that some people are actually disliked because they reinforce the rules, even though they're not a moderator, and others really dislike that.

So, I don't know if this is the right place to be asking this - but I figured why not since it has to do with the reporting thing. Instead of reporting minor rules like doubling posting (etc..) are we as members allowed to tell others that they are breaking the rules and should be more careful

(just asking so that in the future if'/when I tell someone that they shouldn't double post, and if they get all pissy at me for it because it's not my "job" I can just whip out your quote and be like "actualllyyy-yy" x])

Sorry for the long post ^^;
[ Skedaddles** ]
[ Skedaddles** ]

Back to top Go down

Post  Zion Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Hm, thats a pretty rough question to answer...

I'd say...Just...as long as...that's NOT all the post contains.

Like if someone double posted or something, as long as the replying post to say not to do that doesnt JUST contain "please don't double post it's against the rules", if it was also kind've a reply to the post at the same time... it wouldn't hurt. What do you think?
Zion
Zion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  [ Skedaddles** ] Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:03 am

Yeah, that makes sense. But what if I'm in that forum talking
to someone else and they double post, adding something to their
previous post but didn't edit it and posted again. Should I just not
say anything to them because I have nothing to say about that post,
seeing as the post wasn't addressed to me? (if this was in a situation
where I couldn't just butt into the conversation)
[ Skedaddles** ]
[ Skedaddles** ]

Back to top Go down

Post  Zion Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Hm, well, then I guess it would be alright to do like in Roliana, then... Just because they are issuing complaints that they are bugged by members pretending to be mini mods... it's just that the members themselves care for the site... I don't know, its a difficult subject. I guess we'll deal with it when the time comes.

If any members are bugged by being reminded of the rules, then let them be. If they don't want to be bugged, they probably won't do it anymore.
Zion
Zion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  [ Skedaddles** ] Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Zion wrote:If any members are bugged by being reminded of the rules, then let them be. If they don't want to be bugged, they probably won't do it anymore.
I hate to disagree with you, Zion, bby - but I have to disagree with this ^^;

I understand that it's probably annoying for some people to be reminded of rules by people who aren't mods/adminds/have some obvious power granted to them - but some it's just that. They hate it when people who aren't "specialer" than them remind them that they're doing something wrong. But, that doesn't mean they'll stop ^^;
[ Skedaddles** ]
[ Skedaddles** ]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down